Tuesday, 4 August 2015
I haven't got time to verify any changes regarding Gmail's 2-step verification. I'll look into it as soon as I've got a chance.
Update 21/12/2015: Extension Verification
If the extension got disabled on your Firefox due to not being verified. Please reinstall it from the addons.mozilla.org website (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/gmail-checker/)
Tuesday, 14 July 2015
I'm looking into the spinning problem of Gmailchecker at the moment.
Please try this version to see if it fixes the problem.
Google also tends to put some agreement page whenever they want you to accept their new terms before you can access your account. This will always break the extension's login process. To resolve this, simply log in to your account from Gmail.com and then accept the terms before using the extension.
Thursday, 11 June 2015
Everyone calm down! I'm looking into the Gmail problem at the moment. For some reason, the extension works fine for me so it's not easy to try to find what has caused the problem for you.
Okay, I think I found the problem. Can you please check that
this version works?
Version 2.6.5 might not have fixed the problem for non-English Gmail users. Please try this version and report if it works for you?
Friday, 18 July 2014
Thanks everyone for being patient while I was fixing the problem with Gmail Checker. Hopefully, after I removed the extension from addons.mozilla.org for a while, those ungrateful trolls have migrated elsewhere.
Anyway, You can download new version here.
Sunday, 30 March 2014
Thanks everyone for your reports on the problem with GmailChecker. I'm looking into it at the moment. Will update once I've confirmed the cause.
Okay, first, for anyone who sent me the bug reports, thank you. I do look through them.
Second, for anyone who 'demands' a fix, have a look at yourself and learn to behave in public. I do not owe you anything. The extension is a personal project that I do in my spare time which I really lack now. If it suits your needs, great. If not, sorry then. The more you demand me to do anything, the less likely I do it.
I've been extremely busy with my daily work. I guess you've been as well. So a little consideration wouldn't hurt, would it?
Saturday, 21 September 2013
Due to some changes on Gmail's side, GmailChecker does not work with 2-step verification anymore. I'm looking into it and will release an update soon.
I've just fixed the login problem. Please try
this version and report if it works for you. It'd be helpful if you can check for both standard gmail.com and Google for domains accounts. I haven't fixed the 2-step verification problem yet though. Will take a bit more time.
I think I've fixed the login and 2-step verification problem. Please try
this version and report if it works.
I've uploaded version 2.6.3, which fixes the login issues, to mozilla.org.
Thursday, 25 April 2013
Apologies for the lack of updates because I've been pretty busy lately. I do read your comments though.
Just a quick response to some of your reported problems regarding Gmail Checker:
- 2-step verification works fine on my end. If it doesn't work on your side. Please email me the debug log. Without the debug log, I've got no idea what the problem is.
- Browser freeze when checking mail. This is unfortunately true if your system isn't fast enough. I wrote this extension a long time ago and Firefox didn't support multi-threaded extensions back then so all extensions and the browser had to run on the same thread. Background threading for extensions has been added to Firefox 4 [ref] so this issue is solvable. I just need time to implement this. Hopefully soon!
Wednesday, 30 November 2011
Gmail Checker version 2.6.1 is now available. This fixes the nested label problem.
Monday, 26 September 2011
I've got a good idea of the problem but since it doesn't happen on my end, I need you to test the fix. Thanks to everyone for sending me the debug log.
Either this version works or doesn't work, please email me the debug log of one account that used to have or still has the login problem.
Thursday, 22 September 2011
For anyone having the login problem with Google Apps accounts, try Gmail Checker version 188.8.131.52.
This version also supports 2-step verification. You need to generate an application-specific password for Gmail Checker for each of your accounts which use 2-step verification. This password must be saved locally in 'Manage Accounts'. This means that you need two passwords (one is your actual password, the other is the application-specific password) to check mail in this type of account.
*Disclaimer: Treat this as a beta release. The final release will be available soon.
If you still have the login problem with this version:
- Log out of all your mail accounts
- Enable only one account that has the problem in 'Manage Accounts'
- Open the debug window (from About... in the menu)
- Check mail
- Save the debug log. Delete your logged password and then email me the log file.
Friday, 19 August 2011
For anyone having the login problem, I've just experienced that problem today on Firefox 7 beta. Were you using Firefox beta or nightly?
I got the '400 error' in the Gmail Checker's debug log. Can you confirm this?
This problem however doesn't happen on Firefox 6 and before. Firefox must have changed something in the way it's making connections.
I'm really busy right now so I haven't got time to look into this thoroughly.
Wednesday, 2 March 2011
Gmail Checker version 184.108.40.206
which supports 2-step verification is now available. You can get it here (51 KB).
Important: The extension does not work with application-specific passwords. You must use your normal password and then enter the SMS verification code when prompted.
A few people aren't happy with the icons which I found quite okay. Just for experiment, this release uses icons created by RoksVempire. Feel free to send me your own icons if you think that they are better.
Note: The icons must be in both 24x24 and 16x16 size.
The fix for 2-step verification doesn't work any more. Google has changed the way Gmail Atom feeds are authenticated. I'm working on the solution.
Monday, 28 February 2011
Gmail Checker currently does not work with 2-step verification.
For anyone complaining about the extension not working. It would be better if you could spare a few minutes to send me the debug log instead of wasting your time complaining on addons.mozilla.org.
Friday, 14 January 2011
Any problem, see FAQ.
For anyone having the toolbar icon problem
- try version 220.127.116.11 to see if it fixes the problem
- if version 18.104.22.168 doesn't fix the problem, try version 22.214.171.124
- if both don't work. It might be that your localstore.rdf file is corrupt. Try deleting it and then try version 2.5 again.
Just to make sure, are you using the English locale or any other?
Saturday, 11 December 2010
Version 2.4.1 has a bug which shows incorrect mail number when you open a new window. This has been fixed in version 2.4.2. You can get it from addons.mozilla.org or here (English version only).
Sunday, 28 November 2010
Gmail Checker version 2.4 is now available at addons.mozilla.org.
I've just got Mac OS X installed on VMWare to play around with to check the right-click problem that has been reported. I can confirm it is the case. Hopefully I can find the cause and fix it in the next release.
You can get the English only version here.
You can download the English only version here.
Attention: debug log
When you report a problem, please include the debug log as well. To get the debug log:
- Log out of all accounts
- Open menu -> About... -> Debug Window
- Log in as normal
- Copy the information in the Debug Window
- Remove all sensitive and personal information.
Saturday, 11 September 2010
In Gmail Checker v2.3, 'Log out of all acounts' is now inside each account's submenu. The reason is because people often misclicked it when opening the main menu.
Friday, 21 May 2010
Beta2 of Gmail Checker 2.2 is available. You can get it here. If everything goes well, I'll release it as version 2.2.
For anyone interested in translating the extension, please download the locale files here and then email me your translation. Very much appreciated!
New feature in this version is the ability to delete, mark as read and do other stuff to all the messages at once.
Friday, 23 April 2010
The first beta of Gmail Checker 2.2 is available here.
This version fixes the mail fetcher problem and possibly the script error mentioned here.
- You can have two Gmail accounts opened on the browser at the same time as long as one is @gmail.com (or @googlemail.com) and the other is a hosted domain.
- You can customise the action when you click on the statusbar icon. Currently, the action can be to open the menu, to check mail or to open the web page of the top account in the Account Manager.
Monday, 19 October 2009
Gmail Checker version 2.1.1, which fixes the recent login problem, has been available for a while but I forgot to announce it :) Many thanks to everyone for the debugging reports. You can get it here or on addons.mozilla.org.
Friday, 18 September 2009
Looks like a few people are having login problems with Gmail Checker. Since this doesn't happen to me, it is particularly difficult to verify. It would be helpful if you could leave a comment if the extension works or doesn't work for you and your location, e.g. UK, US, etc.
For anyone having the problem, could you try version 126.96.36.199 which is just version 1.3.1 with maxVersion bumped to allow it to be installed on Firefox 3.5, and follow these debugging steps:
- Clear all of your cookies
- Log in (with the extension not the web form on gmail.com)
- If succeeds, please tell me the steps you've taken, e.g. 1-2-3 or 1-2-4-2-3, etc.
- If fails, go to http://www.gmail.com/, and then go back to step 2
I think I've found the cause. Please try
this version, and report if it works.
this version and report if it works (with the debug log).
Another version to test. If it doesn't work, please include the debug log in your report; otherwise, it won't be much help.
I've got a general idea about the problem but doing guess-debugging is no fun at all.
Thursday, 16 April 2009
Gmail Checker version 2.1 beta is available. Get it here (30 KB).
- option to check mail in Gmail's mail fetcher accounts
- toolbar button
- option to show messages in the main menu as in version 1 instead of in the submenu (see screenshot)
You can get the the final beta here. If everything's fine, I'll release v2.1 sometime this weekend.
Wednesday, 18 March 2009
Refer to the previous post for some important notes in this version.
Thursday, 26 February 2009
Gmail Checker version 2 (aka Multiple-Account Gmail Checker) is available. Download it here (26 KB). It's a beta release for now so feature suggestions are welcome.
A few important notes:
- You don't have to create accounts in the extension's account manager to check mail in multiple accounts. Just select "Log in new account" and enter another account details. A bit labourious but it works for anyone who likes the way version 1 does.
- You can leave the password field blank when creating or modifying an account in the account manager. It'll prompt you to enter your password when needed, and it's all the same as case 1, except that your username has already been filled in the login window.
- The option named "Remember me" in the login window has been changed to "Remember login session". Different wording, same thing, i.e. your login cookies won't expire after you've closed the browser. This is the same as selecting "Remember me on this computer" on Gmail.com.
- Auto-login is nothing special. It's the same as clicking on the status-bar icon when the browser first loads up. Hope it clears things up.
- Your settings are stored in a file called gmailchecker.sqlite under your profile directory.
- Questions? Feel free to ask.
And a screenshot
Saturday, 21 February 2009
Gmail Checker's multi-account support is on the right track :)
And yeah, I've already got the auto-login and middle mouse click working as well. Version 2 will be a big update.
Monday, 23 June 2008
Gmail Checker version 1.2 is now available. The sound notification bug was fixed at last. I've also added a debug window (see screenshot) so that you can see what the extension's doing in the background. From now on if you want to report any problems, please include the debug messages* as well.
You can download it directly from my website (here). It should be available at addons.mozilla.org in a few days.
(*) these messages may contain your private, personal, blah, blah information, so remember to mask the details out before sending me (not that I care anyway, but in case...).
Sunday, 13 May 2007
Hey, long time! I've got over my laziness to release beta3 of the Gmail checker extension. The new feature added is sound notification although Firefox has refused to play any wav file on my machine except the stupid beep.
On a side note, a new FAQ on Pidgin/Gaim's website was plain flaming. Geez, I've compiled Gaim 1.5 and every beta release of its without a hitch on my Slackware box.
Update (3 June)
Version 1.1 is out finally.
Saturday, 20 January 2007
New version of the Gmail Checker extension is available now, though I've made it as a beta release first since there were some significant changes. It now uses the new SQL storage of Firefox2 to keep the configuration information, and you can also mark a mail as spam via the extension instead of going to Gmail. The latter feature was implemented to save me some seconds going to Gmail just to report spam.
A lame screenshot:
Beta2 is available. New features can be referred from this post's comments. There were no bug fixes. I feel proud.
Tuesday, 15 August 2006
Currently available Gmail manager extensions for Firefox don't work as I like so I wrote another GMail Checker. It works with Firefox v1.5 up to 2.0. Well, technically, it should work with older versions as well, but these contents.rdf files make me sick so I dropped support for those legacy versions.